Sunday, March 12, 2006

Don't ask me how this happened


If someone would have told me that I would win the first WPBT-POY event, a Pot Limit Omaha event, I would have told them they were crazy. I can barely play Omaha, much less pot limit.

So when I woke up, I grabbed the only book I own that mentions Pot Limit Omaha and read it. The book is by one of everybody's favorite players, Phil Hellmuth. Yes, I read the Pot Limit Omaha section of Play Poker Like the Pros and won a tournament.

I even taunted Drizz about this on his blog.

Thanks to everyone for cheering me on at the end. And thanks to Biggestron for setting it all up.

Monday morning update:
I woke up late because the storm that rumbled through Milwaukee knocked the power out around midnight. Funny how the power soon went out after I won an Omaha event. I wonder if it is getting cold in Hell?

I am still amazed that I won this event. Seriously. Omaha? Pot Limit Omaha? Like others I have donked around in the play games learning the basics, tossing chips around to see flops. But I never played Pot Limit Omaha before. I "practised" by playing a ring game Sunday morning (had K K x x double suited beat by A A x x and then against the same guy my A A x x double suited was cracked by his K K x x). I then played a $5 SnG to get a feel for tournament mode.
That after reading around 30 pages of Phil Hellmuth's book.

I don't have much details to pass along either. I know when it got down to 4, I was barely in 3rd place. At 3, I was out chipped by 3 to 1 by both of my opponents. I got lucky when I sucked out a flush and moved into second.

When we got heads up, I took a lead that was short lived. I then made one big call that gave me a big lead. I don't recall exactly what I had, or exactly what the board showed (I think it was 7 Q 6 6 8)but the river gave me a 10 high straight. There was no flush potential on the board but the two 6s out there didn't make me comfortable. I bet out the river and my opponent, SpiderK, suddenly bet the pot, which would be me all in. He had me covered by just over 300 chips so it was do or die. I liked my hand, but wasn't sure if he hit the boat or not. I called TIME and thought about the betting pattern. I came to two conclusions. First, if he had hit the boat, I don't think he would have checked the turn. Second, if I call and I am correct, I will be taking this tourney down.

I called and I believe he showed two pair. My first thought was Wow! That was a monster pot, the game deciding pot. It was a bold bet. You have to give credit to someone who can make a big bet like that. Great game SpiderK!

Thanks again to everyone with their support at the end. Go check out the WPBT POY leader board. Have to pimp it while I am on top!

4 comments:

Joaquin "The Rooster" Ochoa said...

Online poker is so rigged. Congrats, man. I wish you continued success, you are running really well as of late.

The Bracelet said...

You're peaking too early you dumbass.

You're going to be playing your C+ game when it really matters, the 2nd Annual Good & Plenty Open.

You seriously need to rethink your tourney schedule if you think you can defend your title with your C+ game.

But congrats on the second straight win!

BadBlood said...

Nice work Steve. I have that book and didn't even think to use it for reference. I am such a donkey....

Unknown said...

And to think I've been listening to Felicia, Ray Zee, and Ciaffone for Omaha advice! Phil is the MAN!

Kidding aside, excellent job Steve, and well deserved!